Thursday, January 29, 2009

How do YOU get motivated to excercise?

I'd love to see some responses to this! Rett and I joined a gym a couple of weeks ago and I'm still working on my motivation to get off the couch and actually go. I've done a few water aerobics classes, which are surprisingly a lot of fun. As part of our membership, we each get 3 sessions with a trainer and I have my first session tomorrow night. My biological clock is ringing loudly & my arms are craving a baby, so I'm determined to find ways to stay motivated and keep up with a work out routine!
Here's a list of things that I'm thinking would be good motivators, please comment if you have anything to add to the list!

1. Take classes. Whether it's a different type of exercise than you normally do or just a different instructor, trying a new fitness class keeps your interest more than just running the treadmilll again.


2. Set small goals. Even if you have over 100 pounds to lose (like myself) setting a small goal is a lot more rewarding and can keep you working to reach that next goal.


3. Buy an outfit 1 size smaller than you normally wear for the next season (so right now you would buy spring/summer). No one wants to waste money, so you better make sure you can fit in it by time that season rolls around


4. Blog about it! I know I sure as heck won't want to report on here that I gained weight or quit working out. If you're not interested in blogging, talk about it publicly with co-workers or friends and they'll more than likely want to keep tabs on you to see how you're doing and if you're succeeding.


5. Keep a record for yourself of how much weight you've lost and how many inches have disappeared. Nothing will keep you motivated like knowing what a great job you've already done!


5 comments:

  1. My biggest motivators were either peer pressure (from DH since we went together) or just a schedule. Schedule your time to go and make it a habit. We always went on the way home from work, which was a lot easier since we worked together. But that was especially good because we didn't allow ourselves to sit down and get comfortable.

    Is DH as motivated as you are? It really helps to have someone who will push you on your off days and who you can push when they aren't feeling like going.

    I've also heard of people putting money into a jar each time they go. Then once a month (or whatever your determined time period is), you can treat yourselves to a movie, a manicure, a new outfit, etc.

    I think motivation is about what works for YOU. Buying something too small wouldn't do it for me. I tried and just ended up getting bigger. lol But these are my ideas. Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Allison on the making a schedule suggestion. I made myself go after work every day, and after a week or so I got used to the routine of it. My other motivator came into play after a month or so of the gym, when I started actually seeing results. It made me want to keep going, to see more results/lose more weight. I've plateaued on the weight loss, but the gym is such a part of my routine now that I'm still motivated to go. GL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY biggest motivator right now is LOVING the results! The first week was rough, but then I started to see the number go down lil by lil and I needed to know it was making a difference; and it may sound odd but waking up sore in the morning felt GREAT and I have gotten to the point where i love that feeling; it's a sense of accomplishment and i guess i am personally driven by that.

    yes i realize after reading that i sound 100% INSANE!

    Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Simi, you don't sound insane!

    I do have to say that my body is weird and even when I work out a bunch for weeks on end, I typically don't see results for at least a month (either on the scale or in tape measures), so try not to let that discourage you if you don't see results right away!!! Try to focus on how great you feel after working!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is an older post, but here's my tips.

    1. Have a list of WHY that you can look at. Mine includes making my fussy stomach feel better, looking good in my friend's bridesmaid dress and my own wedding dress, and wanting to run a 5k next month.
    2. Have a work-out buddy. If someone shows up knocking on your door, it's hard to say, "No, I think I'm gonna just skip it today."
    3. Have a bet. My fiance and I have a bet that the first to loose 10 lbs gets our reward. He wants to go to a Phillies game, I want to go to the theater. A friend of mine had the reward of Jimmy Choo's.

    ReplyDelete